Friday 17 May 2013

Concept art: Samien

So I talked to one of my peers a few weeks back about perhaps doing some concept art for me and she kindly accepted the job. With this in mind I wanted to get some stuff together so I could give her the best image of my character as possible so I created a Character Sheet that goes through, in detail, his personality, background and various other traits. I also did a quick sketch of my character because although I asked Sophie to do the official concept art for me I wanted to use one of my own designs because character design is another love of mine. 

This is the rough drawing I did for her. More than anything it's just the outfit design but, together with my character sheet all his other features are well explained.

[Insert my drawing]

I handed these over to Sophie and she kindly went away and drew this for me over the weekend. We were also in contact with each other over the phone discussing what poses I had in mind for the concept art. I did originally want to have just dynamic poses but I decided to go with the t-pose because, that makes him more accessible as a character in terms of transmedia. 

I'm really happy with the way she's executed my character. The glasses are a new feature she added as a finishing touch to reflect his personality in conjunction to what I had written. 

I'm glad that the colours gave her no problems because, I understand it's hard to find a digital alternative to the marker colours but they seem to have come out fine. The blue's are nicely blended together and the highlights have a nice glow about them. 

In terms of poses I really love his dynamic pose because it's just the way I envisioned him, with his face in a book. His expression also looks endearing and he has an approachable feel about him which fits in well with some of his traits. 

Big thanks to Sophie for doing my concept art~

No comments:

Post a Comment